Poem — Selected Poems: Country • Practicing Loving Kindness • Peace • No • Night Sky • Living History • Cyclones and Seeds — by Lisa Suhair Majaj
This contribution presents several poems by Lisa Suhair Majaj.
- “Country.” First Line: Here there are cypress trees; Last Line: my world!
- “Practicing Loving Kindness.” First Line: Bless the maniac; Last Line: bearing small flames of words.
- “Peace.” First Line: Peace is two children walking toward each other from; Last Line: language.
- “No.” First Line: There’s no poetry in it, Last Line: to have nothing in its hands but dignity.
- “Night Sky.” First Line: I line the candles up in my window: Last Line: Baghdad is not so far.
- “Living History.” First Line: It’s true, whatever we do or don’t do may come to haunt us. Last Line: age after age, to light our small human night.
- “Cyclones and Seeds.” First Line: Headlines declare retaliations; Last Line: winged seeds upon the storm.
Majaj, Lisa Suhair. 2009. “Selected Poems: Country • Practicing Loving Kindness • Peace • No • Night Sky • Living History • Cyclones and Seeds.” Pp. 57-74 in “If I touch the Depth of Your Heart … ” : The Human Promise of Poetry in Memories of Mahmoud Darwish (Human Architecture: Journal of the Sociology of Self-Knowledge: Volume VII, Special Issue, 2009.) Belmont, MA: Okcir Press (an imprint of Ahead Publishing House).
The various editions of “If I touch the Depth of Your Heart … ” : The Human Promise of Poetry in Memories of Mahmoud Darwish can be ordered from the Okcir Store and are available for ordering from all major online bookstores worldwide (such as Amazon, Barnes&Noble, and others).